Tuesday, April 18, 2017

If Whiskey and Maple Syrup Were Lovers, They Would be Soul Mates

It is now past sugar maple tapping season in my neck of the woods, and by the looks of it, it wasn't too bad of a year. Members of my better half's family have a sugar bush that they tap, but unfortunately due to timing, weather and work I was unable to go out to help. However, we did still get lovely, super-dark maple syrup from them. It just might be the best maple syrup I have ever tasted! Hopefully next year I can go play out in the sugar bush.

We have been making good use of our maple syrup and a pairing that I discovered online is maple and whiskey. Both loves of mine, so I figured why not marry the two? Below is a drink recipe that was inspired by the maple whiskey sour recipe from Cookie and Kate:


Ingredients:

6 tablespoons whiskey {I used Ballantine's Finest Blended Scotch Whisky}
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 teaspoons maple syrup
sprinkle of cinnamon

Directions:

Shake in lidded mason jar {or cocktail shaker} with ice and then poured into a glass, and then sprinkled some cinnamon on top.

There are some other recipes I came across that I want to try:

Maple Whiskey Cider
Maple Whiskey Mojito
Maple Old-Fashioned
Maple Whiskey Glazed Salmon
Whisky Maple Cookies
Maple Whiskey Pound Cake
Vanilla Cake with Maple Whiskey Butter Cream

Other related posts that might be of interest:

Wonderful Maple Syrup: Some Lore & Customs
Apple Spice Whiskey

*********

Sláinte!

Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment